Friday, July 24, 2020

Pandemic Paraphernalia - A free mask pattern.




Hello all!

Today I have something a little different to share with you all. As you're all very much aware, the globe is currently dealing with a pandemic. In many places it's now become mandatory to wear a mask in public, to help slow the spread of this virus.

This pattern comes from The Crochet Case and is an adaptation of a pattern from Mister Domestic

Laura from The Crochet Case has asked me to share the pattern here via the blog so it is easily accessible by whomever needs to make one.

Of course, I had to have a go too!

I'm pleased to say that this is a quick and easy sew. The supplies are simple, and my second one took less than an hour from start to finish. The multiple sizes are great! My partner and I fit into the large well, and my 3 teenagers all wear a medium. I am yet to make a child size but that's on the weekend to-do list. As a side-note, how adorable is my chicken fabric??

If you have a bunch to make, do them in steps. Cut them all out, iron them all, add all the elastics etc, it'll go much faster than making one at a time from start to finish.

So, what do you need?

Fabric! I used cotton fat quarters from my stash, Laura has upcycled vintage linen placemats. washable and breathable is your goal.

Hat elastic (or thin flat elastic) 6.5-8 inches per ear

Some fusible woven interfacing in either medium or light weights.

That's it!

Here are some notes and tips to help you along. 

* If you are using hat elastic like I am, you'll need to make sure you add a knot to the end that's being sewn in to make sure it doesn't slide out.

*If you can't find elastic, or prefer to have ties, 4x 40cm long ribbons do the trick. 

*If like me you have a few extra chins, and feel like you need the space, add an extra half a centimetre to the bottom of the pattern only.

*The recommended elastic length is 6.5 inches, I used 8 and then tied off any extra, because again, I have a chunkier face. It would be very easy to adapt to full elastic backs rather than ear loops also.

*In the tutorial video it shows the interfacing being already ironed onto the outer fabric prior to cutting it out, I prefer to cut the interfacing from the pattern piece and then iron it onto an already cut outer fabric piece to save on interfacing wastage. 

*I have used both medium and light weight interfacing and found they both work well. 

*Be sure to test the 1 inch test block when you initially print the pattern to make sure your sizes are correct. For most people printing at "Actual size" is enough to get you there, for others you may have to adjust. I needed to use 110% scale for one of my printers to reach the correct test size.

*You can get a full mask (outer and inner fabrics) from one fat quarter, yay! 








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this pattern! I was so glad to see your post, and your website is coming along nicely! It looks very user-friendly. :o)

    ReplyDelete