Friday, January 25, 2013

Burial Pants - Free Pattern








Hello again!

Today I have something a little different. Being in so many groups and forums with parents of angel babies I often hear the phrase "I wish I had..." This pattern came from one such comment. "I wish I had pants for my little boy, it was a little uncomfortable for my partner to place his son in a "dress""

Ok so me personally, I don't think this would be an issue, but I can certainty understand people wanting to place their dear little man in a pair of pants. The problem however comes with the fact that small babies are so very hard to dress and moving their limbs about can cause problems. I gave this a lot of thought before designing these pants and I think they should work well. The first feature is they have an opening in the back, so there is plenty of room to slide the waistband of the pants over bubs legs and onto their body. The second feature is fully open legs with button closures, eliminating the need to get fragile legs to go into pant legs. All you need to do is close the buttons around the ankles and the pants will have legs. Obviously there would need to be a diaper underneath as the crotch area doesn't close (tho, you could add another button or a tie, but it could be a little fiddly to get it done up) All in all I think this is a great start to more items for the little boys who often miss out when it comes to clothing. These pants will fit from 24-28 weeks gestation because of their button waist makes them very adjustable. If you make them larger, make the legs a few rows longer.

Burial Pants

DK weight (8ply) yarn
4mm Hook
3 small buttons

ch35
1. hdc in the 2nd chain from hook and each across (34)
2. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch across (34)
3-4. Repeat row 2 (34)
5. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch across, join with a slst to the ch2. You have created the waistband. (34)
6. ch2, hdc in each stitch around, join. (34)
7. Repeat row 6.
Starting a leg.
8. ch2, hdc in the next 17 stitches (17)
9. ch2, turn, 2hdc in the first stitch, hdc in the next 15 stitches, 2hdc in the last stitch (19)
10. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch around (19)
11-16. Repeat row 10.
End off. One leg complete.


With the pants upside down and the split in the wristband to the back (facing away from you) join the yarn with a sl st to the next unworked stitch.

1. ch2, hdc in the same stitch and in the next 16 stitches (17)
Repeat rows 9-16 to complete this leg.
Do not end off yarn.
dc evenly up the side of the pants, to the crotch and down the other side (the front V of the pants) When you reach the hem of the pants slst in the corner and end off.
Join the yarn to the corner of the hem on the back of the pants (on the V area) and dc around this one as well. End off and weave in all ends.





Sew buttons on the bottom of pants legs (on the corner), and also one on the back of the pants to close the waistband,





Pattern 4/52 for 2013
Images copyright Myshelle Cole, please do not use without permission.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for these!!! I am gonna check with my groups to see if they can use these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the pattern. I'd like to make some and donate in my area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely good pattern to make to Donate to Greiving parents for their lil Darling
    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete