Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Petite Cocoon - Free Pattern
I did say I would have more very small crocheted cocoons this month, and here is number 2. The Petite. Designed with a gathered bottom, button up top and a head rest. this cocoon will gently wrap a baby of 14-16 weeks gestation. My completed cocoon measures 7 inches from the top of the headrest to the bottom, and just over 3 inches wide.
This cocoon is simple to make, and shouldn't take very long to complete. It looks equally good other colours.
You will need:
1 small button
1 length of ribbon for the bottom
4 ply (fingering weight) yarn in main colour, and a scrap in a contrasting colour.
2. hdc in the second chain from hook and each across (23)
3. ch2, turn, 2hdc in the first stitch, hdc in all stitches until the second last, 2hdc in the last stitch (25)
4. Repeat row 3. (27)
5. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch across (27)
6. Repeat row 3 (29)
7-13. ch2, turn, hdc in each stitch across (27)
14. ch1, turn, st st in the first 11, in the same stitch as the last sl st hdc, hdc in the next 8 stitches (9)
15. ch2, turn, hdc 9 (9)
16. Repeat row 15. (9)
17. ch1, turn, hdc 2, dc 5, hdc 2 (9)
18. ch1, turn, sc2tg, skip the next 2, 7 dc's in the next stitch, skip the next 2, sc2tg. End off.
Join your contrasting colour to 1 corner of the top of the hood, sc evenly across the top, up over the hood and onto the opposite side to the corner. End off and weave in ends.
Attach button in desired location.
Take the ribbon and weave the yarn in and out of the stitches in the first row and pull tight to gather, make a bow.