Sunday, April 1, 2018

April Preemie Blanket - CAL Day 1



Good morning all and hellooooo April!

I have something exciting this month! Now, if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you would have already seen  the announcement!

This month, we're going to be doing a Preemie sized blanket Crochet Aong!!! WOOHOO!

Some of you may have done CAL's before, some of you might be completely new to this. It's my first time designing one, so I'm new too! We can all jump in and learn together!



For the entire month of April, every day I'll be releasing a part of this blanket. Given that it's only preemie sized, it doesn't have a lot of rows. In fact, it only has 45 of them, border included. So we'll be working with a 2, 1 system. The first day will have 2 rows, the next 1, repeated for the entire duration of the month. Some days may just be one sc row, but spreading it out is part of the fun! This blanket is a combination of many many stitch types. Some might be familiar to you, some may not. I absolutely love these sampler style blankets! Probably they would have to be my favourite type to make.

At the end of the month, you'll have this stunning sampler type preemie sized blanket completed! The beauty of doing small blankets like this is that you don't get overwhelmed, get to use up yarn, and if you want to make more than one, it's not much more effort! I hope to complete 2 more throughout the month. I'm posting mine off to  Chances' Clothes Project once I'm done, as they are always after larger preemie blankets. I hope you guys enjoy this month and this blanket.

This blanket will be 50x53cm when complete, making it perfect for a baby of 30-32 weeks gestation (roughly 3lb). 

So let's get on to the details and today's rows!



You will need:
4.5mm hook
DK/8ply/light worsted weight yarn in minimum of 6 colours.

Yarn Note: I did not start with complete balls. All 6 of my balls were originally 100g balls with a little of each used. They are a mix of Stylecraft Special DK, King Cole Pricewise and Moda Vera Marvel 8ply for my 6 colours. You could choose 6 colours and follow my colour changes, or you could make every line a different colour (excellent way to use scraps) or you could even use some self striping yarn, or a solid colour.

Colour Changes: I change my colours by completing the last yarn over and pull through of the last stitch in the row with the new colour for the next row, so I don't have to join with slip stitches. Of course, this means you'll have to redo that one last stitch each day as you won't know what colour is next, but the finished piece will be much neater this way.

My Colours are

A - Beige
B - Blue
C - Dark Blue
D - Tan
E - Mint/Turquoise
F - Dark Grey

Day 1:


With A
1: Ch62, dc in the 3rd chain from hook and each chain across. -60



With B
2: Ch1, turn, sc in each stitch across. -60



No comments:

Post a Comment