Thursday, April 19, 2012

Snuggle Cuddle Cocoon Crochet Pattern



Time for a new pattern! But before I get into that
Wow guys! 11k hits. Id have never in my wildest dreams imagined this blog would hit 5k, 11k is just totally amazing! So a huge thankyou to everyone for stopping by. I hope you all find the patterns here useful.
Im hoping to get some more digital scrapbooking kits done eventually too, that is after all what started my blogging experience.

This pattern today is for a small cocoon. Its not as fast as the hats, but I think the extra time needed is well worth it. Its not a terribly complex pattern, it just takes a little while going back and forth with the rows. It took me about an hour and a half to make, remembering that I write down my patterns and design AS Im stitching, so I think maybe an hour for one. Made with the same hook and yarn it will be large enough to fit roughly 20-22 weeks gestation. Of course like always you can up/down hooks and yarns to alter the size. If you are making a larger one however, you may want to add some more rows to make it longer.
Ill be posting some variations on this later in the week.


DK weight yarn
4.00mm hook
3 buttons

1. Ch3
2. DC 10 times in the 3rd ch from hook, join
3. Ch3, dc in the same st, 2dc in each st around, join
4. Ch3, dc in the same st, *1dc, 2dc in the next* Repeat around, join.
5. Ch3, dc in each st around, join.
6. Ch3, dc in the same st, *1dc, 2dc in the next* Repeat around, join.
7. ch3, dc in each stitch around, do not join! From here on out the piece will be worked in rows and not rounds, this creates the opening and flap.
8. CH8, turn, dc in the 3rd ch from hook and each ch across, then in each dc across
9. ch3, turn, dc in each dc across.
continue row 9 until piece measures 8 inches from top to bottom
ch1, turn, sc across.
Repeat

sc twice in the last stitch and then sc evenly down the side of the flap and  then back up the other side. sl st to the top corner. This gives the opening a nice neat edge.


9 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your pattern on Ravelry, and I am wondering if you have this same pattern in a newborn to 3 month old size. This is the first Cocoon that I have actually liked. I love that you have the buttons and it opens up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I have no plans on making it larger, Ive got quite a lot going on so Im not sure Id have the time. I think if you used a larger yarn and hook, and continued the increases until about 18 inches in circumference you could easily make it fit 0-3 months. A newborn baby is roughly 52cm in length so if you aimed for that lengthwise you should be ok.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your help! I will definitely try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pattern will have to be enlarges by 4stitches because this one here only fits my granddaughters American girl doll this is truly awns emote cocoon just needs to be made bigger for a 6-8lb baby oh ya and use an h hook thanks for you pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats because its designed for a baby of 20-22 weeks gestation, for them to be buried in (due to they fragile bodies not being able to be dressed), and not a full term baby. It is however quite easy to enlarge for a full term baby, just do extra increase rounds until it is roughly 13-14inches in circumference. then continue the rest adding more rows for length.

      Delete
  4. Wish I had this pattern several year's ago I could have made it for an Angel named Ashley. In honor of her I would like to make this and donate it. It is a great pattern and could work for a boy or a girl. Thank you for making it free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this pattern! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS PATTERN. JUST PRINTED IT OUT AND I'M STARTING ON IT IN A FEW MINUTES. MAY YOU BE BLESSED FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

    ReplyDelete